Sunday, December 9, 2012

Candy cane Brownies


 I made these last week for our advent celebration, and then again for our dinner guests last night. I am not much of a candy cane person otherwise, but I do love the chocolate/mint combo in these.

Candy Cane Brownies (vegan)

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 of a block of silken tofu (about 4 oz)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped chocolate (optional)

small amount chocolate icing or ganache
crushed candy cane

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Blend the oil, sugar, tofu and vanilla extract in a large bowl until smooth (I use a stick blender). Add the flour mixture, and the chocolate, and mix until combined. If the mixture seems too thick I add a tbsp or two of coffee. Spread into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Once cool, spread a thin layer of icing evenly over the brownies. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane. It is not necessary, but I prefer to keep these in the fridge. The brownies are very rich, so a small piece will do. :)

1 comment: