Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An Apple A Day

You can definitely tell it is apple season here. Lately I have been taking my daughters to classes at an environmental education center. Yesterday they learned about Johnny Appleseed, and came home with a bag full of crab-apples, apples and onion-grass. (I love these classes!) While driving home, I listened to an NPR interview (above picture stolen from their website) with Amy Traverso, the author of newly released The Apple Lover's Cookbook. I immediately decided to put it on my wishlist. Later we went to our neighborhood farmer's market and bought - can you guess? - a big bag of gala apples. And a gallon of apple cider.

I really ought to know more about apples. And my taste in apples is embarrassingly unsophisticated. I am a gala-girl. My grandfather used to work as a horticulturist, specializing in apples. He would come to stay with us when the botanical gardens in my home town of Göteborg hosted their yearly apple event. How I wish I had been more interested in apples when I was a teenager!

2 comments:

  1. I like galas too... try fuji - a very similar flavor, I think. and easy to find organic if you're organic-snobby like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a bucket of fujis at the farmers market this week and I like them a lot. Very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete