Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Little Women


In an attempt to feel less like an alien, I am trying to read up on American literature. Right now I am reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. My daughter is about to read it, so I thought it would be fun if I read it, too.

I got further inspiration to read the book after we drove by Louisa May Alcott's birthplace the other week. It turns out that she was born just about a mile away from here, in Germantown (which was then a town outside of Philadelphia), though she spent most of her life in New England.

While Little Women may primarily be thought of as a book for young girls, I am really enjoying it. What the book teaches about duty, contentment and frugality would serve as good lessons for most of us in the modern age. I have read only about a quarter of the book so far, so I will save the rest of my judgement for later.

What is your favorite American classic?

2 comments:

  1. Åh, älskar Little Women!

    Anne of Green Gables höll jag på att säga, men hon var kanadensiska. Herman Melville: Moby Dick, Mark Twain: Huck Finn och Tom Sawyer, E B White: Charlotte's Web och Stuart Little, om du vill fortsätta läsa med lilltjejen.

    Vill du ha lite vuxnare så kanske Fitzgeralds The Great Gatsby, Kerouacs On the Road.. kommer inte på nån kvinnlig alls av nån anledning. Hjärnsläpp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tack for tipsen! Moby Dick har flera rekommenderat, sa den far jag nog ta och lasa. Jag har ocksa nagra bocker fran din blogg pa min laslista, far latta upp med lite choc lit emellan. :)

    ReplyDelete