Thursday, August 23, 2012

Getting Ready for School!

I am starting to get really excited about the new school year. After our big move this summer, it will feel good to get life back into some kind of routine.

Back in Philly, the girls were enrolled in a cyber charter school. We had a pretty good experience with the school, and it sure was convenient to have a complete curriculum delivered to our home by the school, which then graded and kept all our records. Still, we are pretty excited to have the freedom to choose our own books and materials this year, and to be able to plan out our school work and activities in a way that really fits our family. I feel much more confident about homeschooling now than I have in the past. Our time with the cyber school, and all their involvment and oversight, was in that way a great way to ease into homeschooling on our own.

And of course, we're not completely on our own. We have already connected with a number of other homeschool families in the area, and have some pretty cool group activities coming up. I am generally not one to over-schedule my kids with activities (they tend to come up with things to do all on their own), but I am willing to make an exception this fall in hopes that they will make some new friends here!

As for school books, the girls' math books arrived earlier this week, and it feels like we are close to set for books. I still need to figure out what we will use for a few subjects, but that's partly because I don't want to order too much until I know what they use in the local school here (they will let us borrow books).

I feel like this is going to be a very good homeschool year. And the fact that Rasi is about to not be 3 any longer can only help!

No comments:

Post a Comment