Thursday, August 30, 2012

Kids In the Kitchen


I was alone with the kids for dinner tonight and really did not feel like cooking. School planning had kept me busy all afternoon, and dinnertime crept up on me. One of those nights when I didn't have a meal planned out, and the fridge was pretty bare (excet for a ton of peaches!). But then I thought of the pita bread in the freezer. Pita pizzas are easy enough for kids to make all on their own. (For these ones: brush with oil, slice peaches, crumble cheese - done! I helped put them in the oven.) 

The kids have been super helpful in the kitchen lately, and are now responsible for planning and cooking dinner one night a week. So far they are sticking to steamed veggies and rice, but they have a list of other things they want to learn. I love to take them shopping for vegetables. They get so excited: Did we bring enough bags? Will these taste good together? Should we make a sauce? 

The time I spend with them in the kitchen is an investment that is already starting to pay off; and one that will hopefully lead them to a lifelong love of healthful good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment