Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Julian's Providence

This past weekend Dave and I actually had a real date night, paid babysitter and all! Our first since we moved here almost four months ago. I may have already mentioned that we live right around the corner from Rhode Island's only vegetarian restaurant, and while we love eating there, we also enjoy trying out new places. This time we decided on Julian's in the Federal Hill district. We had not been there before, so we didn't quite know what to expect. But several veg entrees, and "seitan for any meat" sounded good to us. We got there early, around 6, and still had to wait a while to be seated (they don't take reservations except for groups). The place is cozy and a little dark, the music a bit too loud for my taste, but I know that's something I am overly sensitive to.

I had the house seitan with roasted fingerling potatoes, maple glazed carrots, and stout braised cabbage. The seitan was a bit too salty for me, but otherwise good. The cabbage (hidden underneath) was very tasty! Dave had a burger with fries.

It was an interesting place. Very neighborhood-y with a pretty mixed clientele. Great place for beer nerds. Lots of interesting details to look at (including the Pez figure collection in the restroom).

For dessert, we tried the vegan brownie parfait: brownie, cashew cream cheese, and caramel, with a scoop of house made vegan ice cream! I know I will be copying this one at home. The ice cream was really delicious, I only wish the scoop had been bigger. We both felt we needed a glass of milk after finishing this one.

In all, we liked it, and would probably go back if we had a chance to. We probably wouldn't bring the kids (or our parents), except possibly for brunch. Their brunch menu looks pretty good (vegan sweet potato pancakes among other things), so maybe...

1 comment: