Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Things To Do With 20 Lbs Of Apples - Three & Four


Dry them! Dried apples are great as a snack, or added to home made granola, cookies, etc. You don't really need a dehydrator or any special equipment to dry fruit, though I'm sure it's very helpful, at least for larger quantities. Just core the apples, slice thinly and dip in a bowl of water with a bit of lemon squeezed into it (to prevent browning). Place them on skewers with some room for air in between each slice. Rest the skewers on whatever contraption works for you, between two glasses, over an empty shoe box, etc. and put it out of the way for about 2-3 days. Done. I store mine in the freezer just because I would be sad if they got moldy.

Eat them. Duh! I was a little worried we had picked too much, that they would end up rotting on the counter. Well the apples were all gone in about a week! The kids ate up most of them. Time to go pick more!

2 comments:

  1. I am going apple picking this weekend! Will probably just end up eating them straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart idea! I'm going to try it! :)

    Hi! I stumbled upon here thanks to randomofo.com and I like your blog!
    See you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete